Page 22 - Lienz Treasure Chest
P. 22

Stone relief “The Calling of Peter and Andrew” by Jos Pirkner.

   18  St. Andrä (St Andrew’s) cler-  secrated in 1204 and its western
 gy house – The stout building da-  wall was incorporated into the follo-
 ting back to the Middle Ages was   wing Gothic construction. Starting
 restored multiple times. On the   in 1430, the Gorizian construction
 northern side, a 1967 sgraffito by   society built the late Gothic basilica,
 Oswald Kollreider depicting Saint   consecrated in 1457. The tower,
 Andrew.  with its neo-Gothic upper part, was
 rebuilt from 1907 to 1909. Above
   19  Entrance to the “Old Ce-  the side portals, there are Roman-
 metery” surrounding the town   esque reliefs of a head and a Pa-
 parish church – Through the   schal lamb.
 neoclassical gatehouse with a
 saucer dome and a fresco of the   On the doors: bronze sculptu-
 Resurrection by Joseph Arnold   res and door handles of the Holy
 from 1831, one reaches the old   Apostles Andrew and Peter by Jos
 cemetery surrounding the church.   Pirkner from 1969. He also created
 Its southern border is marked by   the stone relief “The Calling of Peter
 late Gothic arcades with relief sto-  and Andrew”. In the antechamber:
 nes of the von Grabens from 1540   Romanesque portal lions holding
 and Baroque panel paintings. The   a ram and a lamb. The church in-
 former  ossuary  (around  1500)  is   terior consists of three naves with
 located in the southeastern corner.   star-ribbed vaults and the pointed
 The surrounding wall in this area is   triumphal arch with a 1446 fresco
 still crenellated.  of Christ the Judge.

   20  Stadtpfarrkirche  St.  Andrä   The elongated presbyterium was
 (St Andrew’s Town Parish Church)   converted to Baroque style around
 (Guides to the parish church and   1760. There is the relief of the Vir-
 its filial church of St Michael are   gin and Child with St Anne from the
 available  in the  church’s  entrance   early 16th century and the former
 area.) Excavations have revealed   altar wings with Saints Barbara and
 that the church’s origins go as far   Dorothea (around 1500). The seven
 back as the late Roman / early   keystones of the main nave were
 Christian period, with a 5th century   painted with coats of arms around
 construction that was expanded in   1450. On the left wall: the 1637
 the 10th century’s Carolingian era.   painting “Liberation of St Peter from
 A  Romanesque  church  was con-  Prison”.  Stadtpfarrkirche St. Andrä (St Andrew’s Town Parish Church)
                                   majestically towers over the town from the north.
 — 24 —                          — 25 —
   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27