Page 9 - Lienz Treasure Chest
P. 9

Palm trees have adorned the centre of Lienz for decades. The memorial to Emperor Joseph II
                                      once stood on the Hauptplatz (main square), but now it stands on Europaplatz (Europe Square)
                                      behind the Liebburg.
                                      A cultural-historical tour of the town
                                      by Dr. Meinrad Pizzinini

                                      Hauptplatz. The regional counts,   western wing,  now called  “Fron-
                                      who only later called themselves “of   feste” (roughly “Lord’s Fortress”),
                                      Gorizia”, cleared the valley between   the chapel was located. After the
                                      the Isel and Drava rivers and, near   fire of 1609, when the Liebburg
                                      the end of the 12th century, built a   was  rebuilt, the  characteristic  two
                                      knightly  settlement.  Its  size corre-  towers with onion domes were ad-
                                      sponds roughly to the present-day   ded. House Wolkenstein first used
                                      Hauptplatz (Main Square). The   the Liebburg as a residence, later
                                      elongated triangle becomes nar-  it became the administrative centre
                                      rower towards the east. The west   of the territory of Lienz and from
                                      of  the settlement  was  particularly   the 19th century onwards it was
                                      endangered,  so the entrance,  the   the seat of various authorities. It
                                      so-called “Mittertor”, offered only   was bought by the town of Lienz in
                                      a narrow path. The small knightly   1980. The architect Dieter Tuscher
                                      settlement with approx. 30 houses   successfully converted it into a
                                      kept  its  inhabitants  safe  and  pro-  town hall. For this exemplary revi-
                                      tected. Weekly markets and likely   talisation, Lienz received the pres-
                                      also knights’ tournaments were   tigious EUROPA NOSTRA award
                                      organised regularly. The first official   in 1991. The Europaplatz (Europe
                                      mention of the settlement as a “civi-  Square)  can  be reached  through
                                      tas” (city) was in 1242. This square,   the small former town gate. Here,
                                      formerly known as the “Lower   one can see the foundations of an
                                      Town Square”, has been the repre-  early 17th century round tower that
                                      sentative centre of Lienz ever since.  protected the town entrance.

                                       1  Liebburg, Hauptplatz 7 – The     2  The square is now adorned with
                                      barons of Wolkenstein-Rodenegg,   a memorial to Emperor Joseph II,
                                      rulers  of  Lienz,  built  the  Liebburg   made in 1906 by an artisanal foun-
                                      between 1605 and 1608. In the   dry in Moravia.

                                                              — 12 —                                                              — 13 —
   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14